There will be some that may take exception to the tone this post will strike, but this is something that needs to be said. Have you ever witnessed a single politician with the ingrained pettiness we are seeing displayed from the White House. I have always felt whomever held the Office of President of the United States deserved respect. If for nothing else, for simply holding the highest office in our country. Even with Barack Obama, I have tried to show a modicum of respect for the office. That is no longer the case and my feeling has been brought on by the actions of Obama himself.
The attitude Obama displays has been obvious since the day he first took office. He showed a certain amount of disdain and arrogance, as if he was somewhat better than the other politicians in Washington. After all, he did win the election and the Republicans lost. Throughout his first four years in office, I came to expect that arrogance to raise its ugly head. I believe it is in Obama’s nature, in his heart. The Bible says “out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh”, and that holds true with Obama. The latest showdown with the Republicans has placed it even more prominently on display.
Barack Obama is always telling us how he is fighting for the middle class. He based a large part of his campaign on this lie, but when push comes to shove, his true nature emerges. That’s what we are seeing in the political fight over the government shutdown caused by the Democrats and their leader in the White House. We knew Obama would blame the Republicans. That much was a given. What is so surprising is how he is doing everything he can to make sure the government shutdown is as painful and inconvenient to the average American citizen as possible. Obama is really pulling out all the stops on this.
The government shutdown started on October 1. The first signs of how petty Obama was going to be were displayed at the WWII Memorial. This is an open air memorial, with no attendants. People come and go as they please, taking their time to ponder and reflect the war to end all wars. Many of these people are the elderly veterans who fought and sacrificed in that war. When groups of them started arriving, they found the memorial barricaded by police tape. Certain Republican Representatives happened to be in the area and some of them helped these elderly warriors to take down the barricades and escorted them to their memorial.
That was the first indication that this government shutdown was going to get ugly, but not the last. Similar barricades and obstructions were placed at the Vietnam Wall, the Iwo Jima Memorial, and others. You can walk to the Iwo Jima Memorial, but the road itself has been blocked. That didn’t work so well for the veterans who were elderly, some of them in wheelchairs. They broke through the barricades and drove to their memorial, as they should. Keep in mind that these memorials are not normally attended or guarded, but with the government shutdown, Obama feels the need to spend money we do not have, just to make sure these places are barricaded so American citizens are not able to access them. The pettiness and arrogance that is causing these places to be closed needs to be documented. As much as the actions taken by the Obama administration should not surprise me, I can not help but be shocked. Following is a list of places that have been closed, due to Obama’s version of a government shutdown.
1. Treatments for Children Suffering From Cancer – The GOP have agreed to a compromise by funding part of the government, including the National Institutes of Health, which offers children with cancer last-chance experimental treatment. Obama has threatened to veto this funding.
2. The World War II Memorial – The WWII memorial on the DC Mall is a 24/7 open-air memorial that is not regularly staffed. Although the White House must have known that WWII veterans in their eighties and nineties had already booked flights to visit this memorial, the White House still found the resources to spitefully barricade the attraction.
The Republican National Committee has offered to cover any costs required to keep the memorial open. The White House refused. Moreover, like the NIH, the GOP will pass a compromise bill that would fund America’s national parks. Obama has threatened to veto that bill.
3. Furloughed Military Chaplains Not Allowed to Work for Free – Furloughed military chaplains willing to celebrate Mass and baptisms for free have been told they will be punished for doing so.
4. Business Stops In Florida Keys – Although the GOP have agreed to compromise in the ongoing budget stalemate and fund the parks, Obama has threatened to veto that funding. As a result, small businesses, hunters, and commercial fisherman can’t practice their trade. While the feds have deemed the personnel necessary to keep this area open “non-essential,” the “enforcement officers” to ensure no business is done are “essential.”
5. Obama Blacks Out Sports, Entertainment Programming to Overseas Troops – The American Forces Network (AFN) that provides American sports and entertainment programming to our troops stationed abroad, has been shut down. For some reason, though, AFN News will still broadcast news, just not any of the popular and fun stuff.
Camp David is essential, but popular programming for heroes overseas is non-essential.
6. Obama Closes D-Day Memorial – The GOP have offered to compromise and fund the National Parks. Obama has said he will veto this compromise legislation. As a result, along with 24 other military cemeteries, the D-Day memorial in Normandy has been barricaded.
7. Obama Tries to Close Privately-Funded Mt. Vernon – Although George Washington’s Mt. Vernon estate is privately funded, the feds blocked visitors from entering the parking area because the Park Service maintains the lot. Apparently, the New Media publicity resulted in the feds backing down.
8. Obama Closes Over 100 Privately-Managed Parks That Cost No Money to Run – The U.S. Treasury actually makes money from the rent paid by a private company that “employs about 400-500 camp workers and managers across about a dozen states.” No federal money is used to operate these parks. No federal employees are used to staff these parks. Taxpayers make a profit from these parks. Still, Obama had them closed and as a result 400-500 employees and a private business are taking it in the neck.
9. Obama Closes Self-Sustaining Colonial Farm It Hasn’t Supported Since 1980 – “For the first time in 40 years, the National Park Service (NPS) has finally succeeded in closing the Farm down to the public. In previous budget dramas, the Farm has always been exempted since the NPS provides no staff or resources to operate the Farm.”
10. Obama Tries to Close State-Run Parks in Wisconsin – “The park service ordered state officials to close the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine, Devil’s Lake, and Interstate state parks and the state-owned portion of the Horicon Marsh, but state authorities rebuffed the request because the lion’s share of the funding came from state, not federal coffers.”
11. Obama Closes Vietnam Memorial – The GOP have passed compromise legislation that would fund national memorials and parks, and open them to the public. Obama threatened a veto. Apparently, the “essential” government employees are those erecting barricades, not those who could keep the memorial open.
12. Obama Closes Privately-Owned Hotel, Police Block Parking Lot – “The operator of a 51-room inn located on U.S. government-owned land in North Carolina abandoned his defiant stance on Thursday to keep the property open despite being ordered to close as part of the federal government shutdown.”
October is this inn’s prime season. The GOP have offered compromise funding opening the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise.
State troopers blocked customers from entering the inn’s parking lot.
13. Park Service Ranger: ‘We’ve Been Told to Make Life As Difficult For People As We Can’ – “It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”
If this isn’t petty enough for you, consider this. Florida Bay is 1,100 miles of open ocean. Many people go there to fish and supply the captains of the fishing boats with their livelihood. According to the National Park Service, it is now closed, due to Obama’s version of a government shutdown. This closure also includes Biscayne National Park.
One last thing. South Dakota is home to Mt. Rushmore. Since it is operated by the National Park, it’s closure during the government shutdown is no surprise, but the Obama administration didn’t stop there. They ordered traffic cones to be placed on the highway to prevent driver’s from pulling into scenic overlooks and taking pictures of the monument. The pettiness of this action astounds even me.
What is our country coming to, when our President is so willing to make his point, that he engages in such petty behavior. Did Obama give the order to close the scenic overlooks at Mt. Rushmore? Did he order Florida Bay and Biscayne National Park closed? Did he specifically tell the National Park Service to close the memorials to our honored veterans, some of them in their last days? Probably not, but someone under his authority did. His attitude has ran downhill and permeated every level of his administration. The people working under Obama know how he feels and they are acting accordingly.
The disrespect shown by the Obama administration towards the American people infuriates me. I would say that we do not deserve such disrespect and pettiness, but I’m not sure that is a true statement. After all, we did manage to elect him to the White House. Not once, but twice. After a useless first term, we decided to give him another chance. I say “we”, but that’s not technically true. I didn’t vote for Obama and am glad to say I didn’t. If you read this and you did vote for Mr. Petty and Arrogant, then shame on you. The mess we are in is your fault, not mine.